- Welcome to librarianship
- Long history in librarianship and indexing
- New times means new opportunities and skills for all of you
What have we been doing?
- First online library catalogue in Australia
- Weapons Research Establishment, SA
- First collaborative purchase of a dataset loaded to a computer
- 1968 Chemical Abstracts CSIRO and Melbourne Universities
What about reference?
- Database access and searching skills emerged in the 1970s and 1980s
- Digital catalogues, e-resources and full text services emerged during the 1990s
- Next is the emergence of real services using collaborative reference software, knowledge bases and our networks
What does this mean for librarians & technicians?
- Clients value you!
- Broadbent & Lofgren study shows staff most critical success factor
- Smithsonian study confirmed this, critical role in taking scientists into the electronic environment
New services - new staff
- The bibliography is dead - new sites
- Collaborative reference - CDRS
- In your face reference
What do users expect?
- Consistency -
What this means for you
- general core skills
- team work
- enthusiasm for change
- learning as a way of life
Wired men and women
- Expect to move and change
- Expect to be valued
Last modified: 2001-03-06